Welcome to our blog....here we will share all our afternoon tea adventures with you...the good, the bad and the wonderful!

Saturday 12 January 2019

Time for....something sweet, but disappointing

Hello there!

Happy Saturday! I hope you've had a tea-riffic week!

My week included a rather disappointing sweet treat.....a doughnut that visually was very appealing, but upon taking a bite I discovered that, in my humble opinion, was a real waste of calories!


Told you it was pretty doughnut! 

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a chocolate doughnut purchased from a Sainsburys supermarket. I wouldn't normally buy mass produced cakes like this (yes I'm a cake snob), but there was something very appealing about those stripes and so I decided to take a chance!

The doughnuts come in packs of four from the bakery section.

To make them chocolate doughnuts, the rings have been filled with a chocolate filling....


I love chocolate...as you know I have a real sweet tooth, but I really love chocolate. There is something very comforting and indulgent about good chocolate.

 Unfortunately, this wasn't good chocolate.....nor was it good doughnut 
generally. The actual doughnut had an ok texture, it tasted fresh, but it had no real flavour. If I had tried this as part of a blind taste test I think I would have struggled to tell you it was a chocolate doughnut. The chocolate filling also held no flavour, it just added another texture to the doughnut.


To make sure I wasn't being unfair to the doughnut I also asked Joe to try one. When asked to describe his doughnut experience, Joe said "it was like a very disappointing bagel or piece of bread with some chocolate in it"....clearly I wasn't being unfair to the doughnut! 

I suppose at least Joe could taste the chocolate

All in all not the best doughnut experience and I wish I hadn't been lured in by those mesmerising stripes. But if you want a good prop for Instagram I can confirm that the doughnuts photograph really well!

What's the best doughnut experience you've had? Do you like plain jam filled doughnuts or something more fancy? Drop us a line and let us know!

Thank you for popping by today!

Rachel

No comments: