Welcome to our blog....here we will share all our afternoon tea adventures with you...the good, the bad and the wonderful!

Sunday 20 January 2019

Time for....some Danish Baked Goods!

Hello there!

Happy Sunday! Hope you're feeling tea-riffic today!

So....I walk passed Ole & Steen on Haymarket rather frequently, but I'm always on my way somewhere else and have never popped in despite the scrummy looking window displays! If you've not discovered Ole & Steen before, its a Danish bakery who has been handmaking their breads and cakes for 20 years, with eight sites across London.

They open from early to late and no matter what time of day, they always have something tempting in their windows. When walking passed at about 9:30pm one Saturday night we spotted the following in the windows...



So many pastries and cakes....I had to go in! 

I was surprised at how busy it was at night time, but discovered that they offer an all day menu as well as the sweet treats you can see above. You can enjoy a range of Focaccias, sandwiches and stews during the day and into the evening.

As it's bakery, Ole & Steen offer a take away service a well as the eat in option....so you know what happened next....yes treats were purchased!


I decided a cinnamon swirl would be perfect for my Sunday morning treat the next day and I'm so pleased that I finally bought something from Ole & Steen! 

This Danish pastry swirl is crafted with cinnamon, marzipan and a vanilla custard. Considering I ate mine the day after I bought it, I was very impressed. The delicious pastry was still crisp and fresh and the inside was velvety and scrumptious! You couldn't taste the marzipan, but it added a wonderful texture to the swirl. The swirl was flavoured with the perfect amount of cinnamon and it went really well with my morning coffee.

The inside of the swirl....



At £3 per swirl it is a treat, but the quality of the bake was brilliant (even the next day) and the size was generous….


I'll definitely be heading back to try more treats out as this swirl was delicious! 

Do you have a favourite bakery or a favourite baked treat? We'd love to hear about them!

Thanks for popping by today,
Rachel

1 comment:

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Yum! Love Danish pastries.