Welcome to our blog....here we will share all our afternoon tea adventures with you...the good, the bad and the wonderful!

Sunday 25 September 2016

The Sunday Scone Review - M&S Devon Scones

Hello there,

Happy Sunday! Welcome back to Tea With Me and Friends and our regular scone review blog post!

This week we've been sampling scones from the M&S range.....

Devon scones from M&S

These scones are enriched with buttermilk and clotted cream- the packaging even states "just add jam".....but me being me....well I didn't see that instruction and bought myself some M&S clotted cream too!


Let's talk about the cream first, which is Cornish Clotted Cream. It's quite unusual to find own brand clotted cream in supermarkets, so I was intrigued to try this one out. To be honest I was a little disappointed as this cream had the consistency of butter and was really hard to spread. 

The scones were also slightly disappointing in appearance, as they looked rather flat.

At this stage I still hadn't seen the "just add jam" notice and ploughed ahead with a layer of clotted cream and a dollop of strawberry jam on top....

Devon scones from M&S

The scones held the cream and jam well, but the flavour was also disappointing - they really tasted mass produced. Even worse than this.....the scones were claggy in texture.


It was at this point that I saw the "just add jam" bit on the side of the packaging....so I decided to try the scones this way....layering jam onto the scone minus the cream (which felt very odd indeed!).

Devon scones from M&S

This time the scone was a bit easier to eat, being slightly less claggy in texture. But I was still not particularly impressed with these scones.

I can't remember exactly how much I paid for these, I think it was about £1.50 for four scones (there is a red sticker on the packet offering me two bakery products for £2.50). This makes them the same price as the other "posh" scones we have tried so far - but they are definitely not my favourite. In fact I think I'll give these scones 1 star out of 5 (because they held the toppings well).

I also noted these scones didn't last so well at home.

Pop back next week to see which other scones we've tried at home!

Thank you for popping by today,
Rachel

1 comment:

Sammy said...

Very good to know. I have a friend who is obsessed with M&S, and seems to think that all their food is instantly superior to anyone else's by virtue of being in an M&S wrapper. But I think I'd rather trust your judgement here, lol. x