Welcome to our blog....here we will share all our afternoon tea adventures with you...the good, the bad and the wonderful!

Sunday 25 August 2013

I've tried it and it's wrong!



In the interest of fairness and because our #sconewars debate is hotting up (seemingly proving that around half the population is certifiably insane) I decided I had better try out the other way of dressing my scones.

It was an interesting and enlightening experiment which led me to draw the conclusion once again that I am right and those of you who messily smear jam all over your scones first are categorically and undeniably wrong.  Now, thanks to my evidence based research, I am going to explain why.



Firstly let's address the taste.  When the jam is hidden beneath the folds of the cream it's flavour is also hidden and the cream becomes somewhat overwhelming.  The whole experience somehow becomes rather bland.  In contrast, when the jam is dabbed on top the full fruity flavour is showcased and it provides a tangy contrast to the thick, glossy cream.

Interestingly, although the flavour is definitely affected for the worse by the jam being put on first, that was not the worst part of the experiment.  No, the worst part was how my poor scone looked!  When you put the jam on first you must use your knife to spread it.  Then you have to use your knife once again to spread the cream on top which just creates a ghastly mess of muddled up jam and cream!  And my knife was just filthy!



All in all, I found the experiment to be rather traumatic and never plan to replicate it but I just wanted you all to know that I tried... and I still think half of you are wrong!

Thanks for popping by today,
Lorna

3 comments:

Rochelle and Natasha said...

Haha, loved this post. We liked that you tried the jam way first but sorry to read you had such a bad experience Lorna :-) However you made very valid points so in fairness we feel that we need to definitely try cream first. We'll let you know the outcome.

x Roch & Tash x
www.next-route-style.blogspot.co.uk

Becca said...

Lornas face says it all!! 😃

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Lorna, I am firmly and most definitely in the cream first camp! And the scones look so much prettier that way.