Welcome to our blog....here we will share all our afternoon tea adventures with you...the good, the bad and the wonderful!

Sunday 18 September 2016

The Sunday Scone Review - Taste the Difference Farmhouse Cheese Scones

Hello there,

Welcome back to Tea With Me and Friends - we hope you're having a lovely day!

Today we have something a little different for you.....as there is no cream or jam in sight today! No....today we're going down the savoury route with some cheese scones from the Taste the Difference range in Sainsbury's! Now, we don't usually go for savoury scones, but in the interest of research we thought it would be good to give some a try!

Taste the Difference Farmhouse Cheddar Cheese Scones

Instead of reaching for the usual cream and jam, I opted for some red onion chutney and cheddar cheese to top from scone. I also thought a couple of homegrown tomatoes would go well with this lunchtime treat!


When I took the scones from the packet I was impressed by the smell of cheese that followed them out - they had a great aroma which made my mouth water! They felt a tiny bit greasy to touch on the top and I was worried this would have an impact on the texture. However, when I cut one in half I was pleased to find they were light and not at all greasy.


I dressed my scone by first topping it with some of the chutney and then adding slices of the cheese on top.......the scone held the topping well....

Taste the Difference Farmhouse Cheddar Cheese Scones

To be honest, although the scones smelt amazing, the cheese flavour was slightly overwhelmed by my toppings. The texture was good though, not overly greasy and they were light.

Overall, this made a pleasant change to the usual sweet scones we enjoy. Although I would have liked them to taste slightly more of the cheese. 


These scones cost £1.50 for four good sized scones. One thing I would note is that they didn't last very well at home - you definitely need to eat them within a day or two of opening the packet.

I would give these scones 3 out of 5 stars.

Do you enjoy savoury scones? Do you have a a favourite brand and what is your favourite topping? We'd love to hear from you!

Thank you for popping by today,
Rachel

No comments: