Welcome to our blog....here we will share all our afternoon tea adventures with you...the good, the bad and the wonderful!

Sunday 11 May 2014

Time for Tea...The Kensington Hotel

Hello there,

Welcome back to another lovely afternoon tea guest blog at Tea With Me and Friends - this time we are joined again by Sheree who has recently visited The Kensington Hotel in London.....

So hubby took me to afternoon tea at The Kensington Hotel for my birthday treat (before taking me to see Gary Barlow at The Royal Albert Hall). I was really excited for this day! Tea is served in the Regency-style drawing room with period features, magnificent bay windows, chandeliers and fireplaces. I can imagine it being cosy in the winter months.

There is a small choice of teas, which made it simple for us. We chose the English breakfast and chamomile flower teas. 

The treats arrived on two two-tiered cake stands and I was excited to see some perfectly sized and filled finger sandwiches, some large scones and some of my favourite sweet treats. The traditional sandwiches included cream cheese, chive and cucumber; honey roast ham; egg mayonnaise and cress; and, smoked salmon and lemon crème fraîche. Upon request, my salmon sandwich was replaced with an extra ham sandwich, no problem. 


Finger sandwiches and scones
Afternoon tea at The Kensington Hotel

We had a choice of fruit and raisin scones, so opted for both and, although we only received one of each, they were large and plump with a lovely glaze. I have to say that I'm not usually a big fan of scones, but these were perfectly baked and warm and soft inside. I would've eaten a whole one if it wasn't for the treats that lay before me! The scones came with clotted cream and strawberry preserve but, given the size of the scones, we had to request more for decent scone coverage. 


Sweet treats at The Kensington Hotel

The cakes include a Victoria sponge (my favourite) and carrot cake as standard, which were both light and delicious, and the menu also stated a 'selection of cakes and pastries'. That day they had a fruit tartlet, almond finger and mini fruit trifle on offer. Much to my hubby's dismay there was only one each of the tartlet and trifle and for fear of having to ask that awkward question, "which one do you want?" and knowing I have a penchant for fruity things, so he didn't stand a chance, especially as it was my birthday, hubby asked if we could have an extra one of each and his wish was granted. The tartlets were lovely, each with a different fruit topping and a light custard filling, while the rhubarb trifle was sweet and refreshing. As it was my birthday I was also presented with a special cupcake on a decorated plate - a vanilla sponge with a light coffee butter cream icing. This was a lovely touch.


Afternoon tea
The Kensington Hotel

For me, this was one of the best teas I have experienced. For the first time I enjoyed everything on the menu. The drawing room was a lovely setting and, as it was a week day, it was a calm and relaxed tea. The waiting staff did tend to leave us to it, but this added to the relaxed atmosphere and is better than being rushed. I would definitely recommend this afternoon tea.


Sheree ready to tuck into her sweet treats!

The Kensington Traditional tea costs £25 per person, while a glass of champagne can be enjoyed for just an extra £5. For more information visit the Kensington Hotel website.

Doesn't that tea look wonderful! I would especially like to sample a piece of that Victoria sponge! A big thank you to Sheree for sharing her afternoon tea adventure with her - we are so pleased to hear a glowing review like this!

If you have an afternoon tea that you would like to share with us please get in touch by leaving us a comment on the blog or emailing us at teawithmeandfriends@gmail.com

Thank you for popping by today,
Rachel


Square Meal

1 comment:

Lucy said...

I love afternoon tea and judging by the pics Kensington hotel does it well the rhubarb truffle looks yummy Lucy