Welcome to our blog....here we will share all our afternoon tea adventures with you...the good, the bad and the wonderful!

Saturday 8 August 2015

Time for Tea....The Old Cream Shop, Croyde

Hello there,

Welcome back to Tea With Me and Friends....if you popped by during the week you'll know that I recently stayed in the North Devon area where I enjoyed some lovely scones! This weekend I will be sharing some more photos of my afternoon tea adventures!

First stop is The Old Cream Shop which is in Croyde, and as well as being a shop has a lovely Tea Garden at the back where you can enjoy all kinds of local treats......


With a shop front like this and a sign declaring "tea garden open" of course I had to investigate further!

Once you have made your way through the shop you will find yourself in the multi-level garden which has a very relaxed feel. There is both covered and open seating, with plenty of seats.


I opted for something a little bit different, ordering a mixed cream tea (sweet and savoury) and Joe ordered a slice of Homity Pie. The portions were a good size and the food arrived quickly.

Let's start with Joe's Homity Pie which was served with a lovely chutney....


If you are not familiar with Homity Pie, its a bit like a flan I suppose....a pastry case filled with a potato, onion and leek mixture, topped with cheese. Its rather scrummy!

My sweet and savoury cream tea included one sweet scone served with cream and jam and one cheese scone served with cheese and chutney....


Look at the size of those scones!

They were served warm and were really fresh tasting. I started with the cheese scone, which is something that I don't usually go for....


I topped my scone with chutney and the sliced Cheddar cheese. The scone was light and tasty, I liked the texture which was slightly different to a standard sweet scone. I really enjoyed this!

Next came the sweet scone...


My scones were loaded with clotted cream and topped with strawberry jam. Again, I really enjoyed the sweet scone....so much so that I got a little arty with my photos....


I can't remember exactly how much we paid but I remember it being reasonable - my cream tea with a good sized pot of tea was under £7.00.

Once we had enjoyed our scones and the views we made our way back into the shop for a nose around. Inside we found all kinds of delights.....more things to eat there and then (ice-creams and take away cream teas) but also local produce such as fudge and the gorgeous chutneys we had enjoyed with our meals.

We might have taken some of the chutneys home with us....



If you happen to be near Croyde and fancy a sweet (or savoury) treat, I'd highly recommend a visit to The Old Cream Shop! As well as great food everyone we talked to was super friendly and you can't beat the views!

Don't forget to pop back tomorrow and take a peek at my post about the gorgeous Elsie May's in Tiverton.

Thanks for popping by today,
Rachel

No comments: